The Nakoma neighborhood is one of the most desirable areas to live in Madison. It is situated approx 2 miles from the downtown, has numerous historic homes in a beautiful setting, and is near Edgewood, a prestigious Catholic Private High School and College. Nearby UW Arboreteum has 17 miles of hiking trails to explore which is next to Lake Wingra, a popular place to fish and kayak. The Vilas Zoo is also a great place to take the kids all year round. If you like to golf, Nakoma Golf Club is a private club but offers memberships for the entire family.
Things to do in Nakoma
- NAKOMA COUNTRY CLUB – a private country club offering everything from first class aquatics, tennis, and junior golf programming, to a beautiful 18-hole golf course, year-round social events and so much more.
- LAKE WINGRA – a small lake located inside the city limits with numerous activities throughout the year. Kayak, canoe, and paddle board rentals are available as well as a beach for swimming. Fishing is also a favorite pastime.
- VILAS ZOO – Henry Vilas Zoo is an admission-free, community supported zoo. It has over 650 animals from all over the world and features over 115 species, 20 of which are considered endangered and vulnerable. The Zoo has a petting area and a carousel.
- UW ARBORETEUM – maintains more than 17 miles of trails through restored prairies, savannas, woodlands, and wetlands. The trail system offers visitors recreational, inspirational, and educational opportunities. It is also designed to facilitate the protection of landscapes, wildlife habitat, cultural resources, and ecosystem integrity.
- EDGEWOOD – a private Catholic high school and college located in a beautiful setting along Lake Wingra’s shore.
- MONROE STREET SHOPPING – Madison’s Monroe street is a great place nearby downtown to experience the artsy community of Madison. Great for strolling, dining and co-op shopping.
- HILLDALE SHOPPING CENTER – Sophisticated retail complex with a department store, high-end specialty shops, eateries & a cinema. Stores include Apple, Macy’s, Lululemon
- SOUTHWEST COMMUTER PATH spans 5.6 mi. from Brittingham Park on Lake Monona west of N. Shore Dr. and S. Bedford St. (Madison) to Capital City State Trail.
- SEQUOIA COMMONS – beautiful library and shopping with ice cream and coffee shops
Homes for Sale in Nakoma
If you have questions about any of these properties, please feel free to reach out to us, we are hear to help!