With the leaves already falling off the trees, Winter is just around the corner. Here is a checklist of things you can do now in preparation for this winter at home.
Outside the Home
- Take your snowblower in for a tune-up
- Purchase gas for your snow blower
- Buy some “pet safe” ice melt.
- Check your shovel to make sure it is in good working order.
- Consider buying a roof rake to prevent ice dams from forming.
Inside Your Home
- Check and change filters on your heating system.
- Shut off and drain outdoor faucets before the cold weather hits.
- Insulate pipes where you can.
- Keep the thermostat set at a steady temperature. If you go away, set the thermostat to a minimum of 55 degrees.
- Consider purchasing a portable generator in case of a blackout.
- Stock up on wood for the fireplace
- Get your gas fireplace serviced
- Check your emergency supply kit for batteries, a radio, a first-aid kit and any medicines you may need.
Other Resource: Get the full checklist Annual Home Maintenance Checklist.